Date(s) - Sep 16 - Sep 17
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Munis 101 – The Essentials of Municipal Governance
*Please Note: Registration for this session is limited to Summer Villages only.
Whether you are a new or returning councillor, developing your skills and knowledge of what it takes to effectively serve your constituents is always a good strategy.
Munis 101: The Essentials of Municipal Governance delivers the key information and strategies that you need to excel in your role. Munis 101 is completely updated to reflect recent changes made to the Municipal Government Act, and includes best practices in everything from public participation to considering how to set tax rates.
Munis 101 will not only prepare you to excel in your role, but it also meets all Alberta Municipal Affairs requirements for mandatory post-election training by providing the fundamental strategies and concepts that new and returning elected officials can apply to learning about their own local municipal functions, plans, and financial information. In fact, the course has been endorsed by Alberta Municipal Affairs, so you can be confident that you have the baseline skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Munis 101 is a two-day, in-person course with plenty of opportunities for reflection, discussion, and applying concepts and ideas to your own municipal context. The course is divided into five modules as follows:
Module 1 – Apply the Basics of Municipal Governance and Legislation in Alberta
- Distinguish the role of municipalities in Alberta
- Govern within the municipal organization and function
Module 2 – The Elected Official’s Role in Municipal Leadership
- Recognize the roles and responsibilities of municipal elected officials
- Recognize and respect the roles and responsibilities of municipal staff
- Apply common council decision-making processes
- Work effectively within your individual leadership style
Module 3 – Navigate the World of Municipal Finance
- Recognise important budgeting and financial administration processes
- Distinguish how municipalities are funded
Module 4 – Explore the Role of Municipal Planning and Development
- Recognize how municipalities plan and grow
- Understand common planning and development processes
Module 5 – Ensure Effective Collaboration
- Recognize the importance of collaboration and the available tools
- Build relationships with local businesses and non-profits
- Recognize the opportunities and challenges of collaborating